The State of esoTalk

1. 7 years ago

Toby

9 May 2012 Administrator

Since there is an influx of new people checking this project out, I thought I would post this to clear things up.

I worked on esoTalk for several months last year and launched the first version in November. Soon after, someone convinced me that I should rewrite esoTalk on top of a proper PHP framework, which would have incredible long-term benefits. I decided that I wanted to do this before pushing esoTalk any further in terms of getting developers and other people involved.

Unfortunately it was a huge task and I only made a very small amount of progress before I started full-time university at the beginning of this year. As such, I no longer have time to develop esoTalk, minus a few bug fixes here and there.

So, esoTalk in its current state works, but it does not have an ideal code base and it is not under active development.

I have plans to continue the rewrite down the track when I have time (during holidays and such), but this is all speculation and I have no idea how soon it will happen, if ever.

Feel free to contribute to the project if you would like to. I will try and actively review pull requests on GitHub .

Thanks!

2. How long the new edition

3. Deleted 7 years ago by laputatan
  4. @Toby, Which PHP framework were you building it on?

5. Toby

11 May 2012 Administrator

Laravel .

6. Sounds Interesting. I started study Laravel. I have 3 years codeigniter experience and 6 months fuelphp experiece. But Laravel sounds better. May be I can help you on this.

7. Deleted 7 years ago by iKeyZ
  8. Keen to assist in continued development of this project.
    It has major potential

have forked on github

9. Thanks

10. Tears

8 Jun 2012 Moderator

A friend of mine and I also forked esoTalk. I fixed a bug and I'm going to fix some more, because I love esoTalk. My friend is finishing his Dutch translation.

11. If you forked mine I will merge changes back in so at least us 3 can be in sync.
    otherwise not sure perhaps we can still merge.

12. Tears

11 Jun 2012 Moderator

@samsong If you forked mine I will merge changes back in so at least us 3 can be in sync.
    otherwise not sure perhaps we can still merge.

I forked the original esoTalk-git, and I don't understand the other part of your post. Could you please explain it some more?

13. 6 years ago

Hi there @Tears,

I'm wondering where I can find the Dutch translation your friend made.
    I just started translating it myself but it would be foolish if a Dutch translation already exists!

Thanks in advance.

14. Missed this conversation... I've also forked the project... username: xwiz Will be updating soon...

15. @Tears, are your dutch language files anyway on github?

16. 5 years ago

@Toby Ok, now I see the current situation of this free web project!
    That explains me everything I always wondered ... Thank you, very much for this!!

17. @Toby Laravel .

In the last weeks I tested some forum systems (ElkArte, Codoforum, nodebb, ...) and now also esoTalk.

esoTalk have awesome features! mentions, notifications, nice and clean design and it's lightning fast! Channels, multi channel search, ui features...

So I can't believe it... and read it will not be active developed in the future :( What a pity...

To use a framework like Laravel should be the right way, but will Flarum also lightning fast and similarly user friendly?

Because of the uncertain future of esoTalk and Flarum I have to think about which forum software I'll use in the near future...

But @Toby, really great work! EsoTalk is a modern, fast and user friendly forum software. Respect!

18. Considering that you are starting from the scratch, I think you can start using esoTalk with no fear.
    I guess the switch from esoTalk to Flarum will be smooth.

There are some little more problems for users like me that come from other platforms (phpBB): migrating all the things (attachments, polls and so on...) needs some work more.

19. Hello @candyman, I could use esoTalk as forum, but have to integrate it with my custom login (php) and don't know if Flarum is as good as esoTalk (no feature list, preview, performance comparison to esoTalk, demo).

And at the moment I have to consider some future-proof features like push notifications, live reload, ...
    Compared to php forum software esotalk is lightning fast! NodeBB, a nodejs based forum software, is similar to esoTalk (features like mentions, ui, fast, powerful,...) and reached version 0.5 recently.

20. Edited 5 years ago by candyman

@pwFoo don't know if Flarum is as good as esoTalk

I guess it will be even better.

I've look at NodeBB: it isn't free, is it? Anyway, at first sight I like esoTalk more.

If I were you, I'd hire a developer to get an esoTalk custom login plugin that integrate your custom login with the forum one.
    I could participate if the custom plugin would be related to a Textpattern site: I'd like to integrate the esoTalk forum with a Txp site.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!