Member/visitor ip collector

1. 5 years ago
    Edited 5 years ago by RIscRIpt

Just a simple plugin for collecting/tracking visitors' and forum members' ip addresses. I didn't plan to share it, so it has no features like viewing addresses in administration section, neither modifying some settings.

2. Please wrap it into a proper plugins format.

3. Ok now? :\ D:

4. 4 years ago

Where does it show the Ip of a member?

5. In the database.

6. Edited 4 years ago by Felli

@RIscRIpt In the database.

That's a little reckless to store your member's ip addresses in the database if you ask me, esoTalk just isn't ready for that type of plugin maybe after g5's bugs are completely fixed but not when g4 is pretty much the only stable version that's released... Not to mention you'd also have to take into consideration that proxy servers are still a big problem when it comes to forums and trying to keep them safe.

7. @RIscRIpt
    database?

@Felli
    I agree

8. @Felli you say it's not ready, I say it is. Your argument is invalid.
    Proxy thing is complete bollocks to me, I don't see how they're affiliated with this. You're not going to figure a real IP address when it's a good proxy.

9. @Felli you'd also have to take into consideration that proxy servers are still a big problem when it comes to forums and trying to keep them safe.

@Garfield You're not going to figure a real IP address when it's a good proxy.

This is mostly true. It really depends on how a forum administrator is trying to use the IP list. There's no perfect solution for users behind a proxy or NAT. With discretion one can figure out if an IP is worth blocking - ex if you can determine no legit users are behind some proxy or NAT, block it.

If you can know for sure that an IP is being used for a known legit proxy service, you could attempt to get (and sanitize!) the IP via the X-Forwarded-For HTTP header . That's assuming the proxy sets the header. Downside is this header can be created by somebody without a proxy so it's not really reliable. Its use is mostly with load balancers taking the REMOTE_ADDR header and shoving it into X-Forwarded-For header so backend servers can use it.

or Sign Up to reply!