Making an account

1. 4 years ago

Hello, I recently installed esoTalk on my apache webserver. It successfully setup, and I was able to make a post via my admin account. I decided to sign out of my admin account and try making a normal account. Once I entered the credentials for this new account, it loaded a bit, and then took me to the error page. I decided to go back to the join screen simply by hitting the back button on my browser. Once I hit the back button, it took me to a page telling me you have successfully signed up and that you should be receiving an email. I decided to go and check my email. To my surprise, there was no email, although I setup hooked my smtp server up to the website prior to making the account. Please note that there were no specified errors. If anyone has any idea on how to fix this, please comment below.

2. Do you have your registration settings set to "Admin approval"? If so, you'll need to approve your secondary account via the Admin panel.

However, it's a little frustrating that esoTalk sends no email of any kind when registering, not even a "you will need to be approved by the Administrator" email. What's worse, is that if you deny a user, no email is sent informing them that they were in fact denied registration. How come "the basics" have not been implemented.

I'm also finding out that "fat free" may not be such a good idea. To get all of the things that other forum software have out of the box you need to install plugins. I also found out that it's super hard to install extensions. Seriously? I have to upload via FTP when other forum software has had built-in theme and plugin installer panels for ages?

3. Toby

29 Jul 2014 Administrator

@TheGalacticHacker, thanks for the honest feedback. It's true that esoTalk is a little lacking in some basic areas — this is in part due to its current development status, which you can read about here . I'm keen to hear honest feedback like this so I can not make the same mistakes with Flarum!

@TheGalacticHacker I'm also finding out that "fat free" may not be such a good idea. To get all of the things that other forum software have out of the box you need to install plugins.

That's kind of the point! Including too much functionality out of the box leads to bloat, especially when the average community doesn't need half of the features. Fair point about the plugins being hard to install though.

4. @TheGalacticHacker Seriously? I have to upload via FTP when other forum software has had built-in theme and plugin installer panels for ages?

Oh come on...

5. If you look at how Wordpress handles plugins it is the best of both worlds. You are able to install plugins through a repo or by FTP.

6. 3 years ago

[deleted]

12 Mar 2016

I believe it is the same situation of the surferdude999 ...

I followed the guidance adding the $ config line [ "esoTalk.debug"] = true; in the file config.php
    and returned me the following error:

Something Went Wrong

esoTalk has encountered a fatal error. Try again, or get help.

Could not instantiate mail function.
    The error occurred near C:\wamp\www\forum\core\lib\vendor\class.phpmailer.php:1160

1158: }
    1159: if (!$result) {
    1160: throw new phpmailerException($this->lang('instantiate'), self::STOP_CRITICAL);
    1161: }
    1162: return true;
    Backtrace

PHPMailer->mailSend() [C:\wamp\www\forum\core\lib\vendor\class.phpmailer.php:1040]
    PHPMailer->postSend() [C:\wamp\www\forum\core\lib\vendor\class.phpmailer.php:945]
    PHPMailer->send() [C:\wamp\www\forum\core\lib\functions.general.php:227]
    sendEmail() [C:\wamp\www\forum\core\controllers\ETUserController.class.php:267]
    ETUserController->sendConfirmationEmail() [C:\wamp\www\forum\core\controllers\ETUserController.class.php:225]
    ETUserController->action_join()
    call_user_func_array() [C:\wamp\www\forum\core\lib\ETController.class.php:181]
    ETController->dispatch() [C:\wamp\www\forum\core\bootstrap.php:326]
    require() [C:\wamp\www\forum\index.php:19]
    Additional Information

esoTalk Version (code) 1.0.0g4
    esoTalk Version (config) 1.0.0g4
    PHP Version 5.5.12
    Operating System WINNT
    Server Software Apache/2.4.9 (Win32) PHP/5.5.12
    Referer http://localhost/forum/index.php/user/join?return=%2F
    User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/48.0.2564.116 Safari/537.36
    Request URI /forum/index.php/user/join
    I noticed that the account of et_member table column saved a value of 0 instead of equal to 1.

Please help-me :/

7. What email configuration settings are you using @halison ? Are you using SMTP or just the normal PHP mail function? Is the web server able to communicate to the email server correctly (aka does that email address exist, is it off site with another hosting/company, etc.)?

or Sign Up to reply!