Gmail SMTP Working !!!

1. 4 years ago

Have any of you been using Gmail as the email sender for your Esotalk forums?
    If any of you have, is it possible to screenshot and blank out your personal info to show me an example how to make it work in the backend? Thanks!

For those who want to use Gmail with esotalk here is the working method :)

[attachment:5434dddfd3043]

2. You've got to change your smtp settings in Gmail so that you'll be able to connect to Gmail's backend servers. Though I would recommend that you create a "site" email address and use this instead of Gmail as Gmail can't guarantee that your members will be able to get a mass mailing. The same goes for hotmail and aol as well.

3. Edited 4 years ago by Tech

Unfortunately my domain registrar already costs me 10$ per year and now asking money for the email settings for the domain inlcuded, for me unfortunately im not paying that extra per month.

4. @Tech Unfortunately my domain registrar already costs me 10$ per year and now asking money for the email settings for the domain inlcuded, for me unfortunately im not paying that extra per month.

Sounds like you need a new server provider to me. lol

5. Edited 4 years ago by Tech

Maybe I wasn't clear enough :(

I bought the domain with godaddy a few days ago and they only offer email forwarding free with the domain purchase, so unfortunately from what I can see I cant use the domain email because I can only forward.

[email protected] (godaddy).... which is forwarded to [email protected] (gmail)?

I would like to use the domain email but since godaddy only allows me to forward this email ( I don't have permission) for password settings on [email protected].

There forth I am stuck to use gmail smtp settings? Or are there any other solutions outside of this?

6. Well if it goes through Gmail you'll still have to change the Gmail account settings
    >Settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP>Add a forwarding address then set all the settings so that they'll work. (Depending on if you wanna do it through POP or IMAP.)

7. For those who want to use Gmail with esotalk here is the working method :)

smtp.png

8. Edited 4 years ago by Tech

Update:

If port 25 is blocked or not working... 
    change the port to 465 

Remember to (Like) this post if it helped!
    Hope this helps everyone, please enjoy using gmail smtp.

9. Deleted 4 years ago by Tech
  10. Edited 4 years ago by 19eighties

Are you sure this will work long term? I tried using gmail for an smtp mail for a php script to mail out some messages, but after sending a dozen or so messages, it blocked me. Also, you may need to clear the IP your domain is coming from with google, which was kind of unintuitive to do. I suggest looking into mandrillapp if you don't have a large site for a free smtp service.

11. @19eighties Are you sure this will work long term? I tried using gmail for an smtp mail for a php script to mail out some messages, but after sending a dozen or so messages, it blocked me. Also, you may need to clear the IP your domain is coming from with google, which was kind of unintuitive to do. I suggest looking into mandrillapp if you don't have a large site for a free smtp service.

I would look at some of the gmail limitations such as 500 unique recipients per day, 25 bounced emails per day, etc. If you go over these they will block you.

Also yeah the domain name, I'm not sure if it's configurable but you'd probably want to send from the @gmail.com address. Or a domain if you're using Google apps.

12. Edited 4 years ago by Tech

@Thirtysixway 500 unique recipients per day

Actually I believe it's now 2,000 per day (500 for trial accounts)
    https://support.google.com/a/answer/166852?hl=en

13. @Tech Actually its 2,000 per day (500 for trial accounts)
    https://support.google.com/a/answer/166852?hl=en

That's the limit if you have a Google Apps account (paid, education, or grandfathered in free.) A regular @gmail.com account is limited to 500.
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22839?hl=en

14. Edited 4 years ago by Tech

@Thirtysixway That's the limit if you have a Google Apps account (paid, education, or grandfathered in free.) A regular @gmail.com account is limited to 500.
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22839?hl=en

500 emails a day from SMTP server is correct!
    I was actually looking at the apps (whoops) my bad.
    Regardless I still think 500 emails a day is plenty enough if your running just a forum?

15. Yeah i'd think it would be enough :) if you're sending more than that, it's time for your own smtp server!

16. @Thirtysixway Yeah i'd think it would be enough :) if you're sending more than that, it's time for your own smtp server!

The good thing is I just learnt something new today.

Thanks @Thirtysixway ;)

17. @Thirtysixway

Also the reason i myself use Gmail smtp is because the domain where I purchased it will charge me xtra per month for the domain email setup.

18. There must be some additional rate limiting going on, I was well under 500 messages.

19. Edited 4 years ago by Tech

@19eighties There must be some additional rate limiting going on, I was well under 500 messages.

Have you tried calling Google?

http://www.google.com/intl/en/about/company/facts/locations/index.html
  20. @19eighties There must be some additional rate limiting going on, I was well under 500 messages.

Yeah I've read that there are also limits on undelivered emails. So if spammers are signing up with fake email accounts, it would take less than 500 invalid emails to cause you to be rate limited.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!