Introducing Flarum

1. 5 years ago

Toby

9 Oct 2014 Administrator
    Edited 5 years ago by Toby

Update: We’re cancelling the Kickstarter, in favour of openly and collaboratively building Flarum on GitHub. Read more about it here.

---

If you've been following esoTalk's development (or lack thereof ), you'll know of its long-awaited successor: Flarum.

-image-

Today, we're ready to show Flarum to the world. Flarum is our vision for the future of forum software: beautiful, powerful, unopinionated, open-source. But it's a huge project, and we can't do it without your support.

Together, let's make the forum experience new again.

Back the Kickstarter

2. Deleted 5 years ago by pajasu
  3. cooll, but i don`t have money=(

4. So will it be free? =)

5. Toby

9 Oct 2014 Administrator

100% free and open-source!

6. Edited 5 years ago by pwFoo

Hi @Toby ,
    great to see first images and the kickstarter video.
    I'll take a closer look at it! ;)

7. @Toby
    Could get backers access to a online demo? ;)

8. Will this be cloud only? I personally like to have all of my software self-hosted with Bluehost, and I have no need for my members to have a universal Flarum account.

Also, will we be able to use our own frameworks like Foundation, Bootstrap etc for the design aspect?

Thanks

9. Edited 5 years ago by candyman

Noooo! Cloud only! I hope, like Vanilla, that a locale installation will remain possible.
    Anyway, it's very promising!

BTW: EsoTalk will remain available even if unsupported?

10. Toby said it will be open source. That means you will still have ability to install it by yourself...

11. Edited 5 years ago by pwFoo

@Toby
    Will Flarum have an API (login, Register, get forum information and maybe also set?).

12. Henry

9 Oct 2014 Moderator

@SteelPanther Will this be cloud only? I personally like to have all of my software self-hosted with Bluehost, and I have no need for my members to have a universal Flarum account.

Also, will we be able to use our own frameworks like Foundation, Bootstrap etc for the design aspect?

Thanks

Not at all, completely open source so you can take the code and run it on your own server. The universal username is only apart of the cloud hosting that Flarum will offer.

13. How is that going to be different from esoTalk?

14. Edited 5 years ago by erlend_sh

Very excited about this. It's so nice to see forum software at the top of the innovation agenda again.

I mentioned it to the Discourse devs and Jeff gave you a nice quote ;)

I like many of their layout ideas, and I did think esoTalk was one of the few truly innovative approaches out there. So we'll be watching.

One thing that worries me is that I'm not seeing a very strong PR push, which is the end-all-be-all of Kickstarter success. You should be tweeting left and right, especially to @laravelphp and @emberjs . Engage relevant communities like http://laravel.io/forum and http://discuss.emberjs.com/ .

A Kickstarter campaign is not news on its own. Nor is a new piece of software. Your pitch video critiques the old legacy forums, but they're the easy target. What's your edge against the big new players, like Discourse and NodeBB? Being a PHP application, perhaps your biggest competitor is Vanilla, so maybe start there?

Other talking points:

15. Toby

10 Oct 2014 Administrator

Thanks for the kind words and advice, @erlend_sh. You're completely right about the need for PR push and better differentiation against modern competitors in our pitch.

The first day of the campaign has been really valuable in helping us understand where we stand, and what we need to do to improve. We'll prepare some updates and strategies over the weekend and be ready to keep pushing next week.

16. Edited 5 years ago by Tech

I hope your working hard on a hook so that when the new software launches next year we will be able to convert esoTalk without hiccup's over to flarum.

Here are some suggestions !!

A: I recommend that in the backend ADMIN PANEL of Flarum (if you really want a full competitive software in todays blog/forum market) you make it as easy as pie so everything is drag and drop for all non tech webmasters?

B: I recommend also to have an option where we can select in the backend ADMIN PANEL for automatic FULL WIDTH so it fits perfect on any size of resolution HD PC/TV/Mobile were using .

C: Staff & Members Live "currently who's online now" side of index (shows an avatar and shows whether there admin moderator or member)

17. I like the Esotalk sticky top panel (back button, notifications,...).
    With my ne Esotalk I would try to make the footer sticky, too (users online, Go to top, ...)

18. @Tech B: I recommend also to have an option where we can select in the backend ADMIN PANEL for automatic FULL WIDTH so it fits perfect on any size of resolution HD PC/TV/Mobile were using .

C: Staff & Members Live "currently who's online now" side of index (shows an avatar and shows whether there admin moderator or member)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't that be left to custom skins? I hope there are plans for that.

In the mean time, very excited for Flarum to come out here.

19. Well if they actually implement the Wordpress idea it would be nice to be able to have the admin panel redirected to the "forum" when said staff member accesses it, instead of how Vanilla has the option of linking the panel and using the panel in Wordpress.

20. I hope there will be a login / register api to call via php from my cms.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!