Introducing Flarum

1. ‹ Older
  2. 5 years ago

I'm excited about Flarum but my initial impression is that you have made a critical error in your business model and tied your Kickstarter campaign directly to this error. The global username thing is just not a good idea. Imagine I am Rick Beerdog from Ubercorp and I want to setup a hosted plan for our support forums. However, I find out I can't use my own name on this service we are paying for because someone is already using the name on another instance of the software. I also find out that this username conflict is likely going to impact several of my employees, and likely many of our customers. You just lost a sale.

Since the Kickstarter essentially pre-sells these user names, you can't make the decision to back out of this problematic feature. I'd like to hear your comments on this issue.

3. @kjaonline How is that going to be different from esoTalk?

I think it is safe to assume it will replace esoTalk. It sounds like a new, better version, plus a re-branding.

4. @Toby But it's a huge project, and we can't do it without your support.

@Toby, if Kickstarter doesn't go through, will Flarum be over, or development will continue, albeit rather slower?

5. @Ditchmonkey I'm excited about Flarum but my initial impression is that you have made a critical error in your business model and tied your Kickstarter campaign directly to this error. The global username thing is just not a good idea. Imagine I am Rick Beerdog from Ubercorp and I want to setup a hosted plan for our support forums. However, I find out I can't use my own name on this service we are paying for because someone is already using the name on another instance of the software. I also find out that this username conflict is likely going to impact several of my employees, and likely many of our customers. You just lost a sale.

Since the Kickstarter essentially pre-sells these user names, you can't make the decision to back out of this problematic feature. I'd like to hear your comments on this issue.

As I started thinking about this myself too, I found myself to stumble on that same issue. But I see it in a different light. I'm basically fine with it so long forum admins have the right to disable that feature. And personally I doubt that it will also be an feature for self hosted forums. Since it will not be connected to the cloud's database.

6. Btw, if Kickstarter doesn't pan out, I think you have a strong enough core fanbase to do well on Patreon , especially if these supporters basically get to be your early-entry customers.

7. NICEE... hope the project will be successful!

8. I think we need a "touchable" flarum demo (design, ui,...) instead of a video to push the kickstarter?

9. @pwFoo I think we need a "touchable" flarum demo (design, ui,...) instead of a video to push the kickstarter?

That is not the way Kickstarter works.

10. @Toby If you've been following esoTalk's development (or lack thereof ), you'll know of its long-awaited successor: Flarum.

-image-

Today, we're ready to show Flarum to the world. Flarum is our vision for the future of forum software: beautiful, powerful, unopinionated, open-source. But it's a huge project, and we can't do it without your support.

Together, let's make the forum experience new again.

Back the Kickstarter

Awesome news! \m/

So will it be easy like Esotalk to install. ;)

11. Hopefully they get that 50k!

12. Toby

20 Oct 2014 Administrator
    Edited 5 years ago by Toby

Thanks for the feedback and support guys!

We’re making a big call today and cancelling the Kickstarter campaign, in favour of openly and collaboratively building Flarum on GitHub. Read more about it here.

@Ditchmonkey, thanks for pointing that out to us. (You weren't the only one!) I guess this is our response. :)

13. So you are going to take the esoTalk route with Flarum a well. Building it out whenever you feel you are having time for it? If that is the case then I am having my concerns. As you know I have kinda pushed you to release esoTalk g4 which in the end has become a very nice release. But it took some effort from the both of us to get it done. Now development on g5 is halted in favor of Flarum but do you expect to receive more input from the community to keep the ball rolling or how do you see this?

14. Toby

20 Oct 2014 Administrator
    Edited 5 years ago by Toby

esoTalk development has been slow purely because I've been putting all of that time into Flarum to get it to where it is now. We've developed a very solid foundation so it should be very much downhill from here (in keeping with the ball-rolling metaphor.)

There's no doubt that esoTalk was not fun to work on for other developers — or even for myself — because of the absence of a framework and other modern tools. Flarum, on the other hand, is being built with two of the most popular open-source projects out there (Laravel and Ember.js ). I am confident that people from these communities will be willing to contribute, especially if the amount of enthusiasm we've received thus far is any indication!

15. esoTalk is fun to work on! Don't give yourself such a hard time for not choosing to work with a framework.
    Will this mean that there are going to be more 'administrators' watching over the GitHub of Flarum?

16. Now that I'm wondering since you canceled the kickstarter. Will you accept just donations. Since I was looking forward pledging towards Flarum.

17. For what it's worth, coming from a relative outsider, I applaud your change of direction.

Really looking forward to seeing Flarum up on GitHub. Since you've already built up some great material for your Kickstarter campaign, you could easily do some PR buildup for your GitHub release. See rubyraptor.org as an example.

18. Henry

21 Oct 2014 Moderator

I'm really excited to see the project's change towards GitHub. While I hoped its initial success would be had through the funding of Kickstarter, it is good to know the project will continue under a more open direction. I love seeing change happen, instead of waiting on an impending release/update date. Seeing Flarum grow from the beginning and having developers join the momentum will be exciting to see, nonetheless.

19. Edited 5 years ago by amit510

when will Flarum be available for users to download?

20. @amit510 when will Flarum be available for users to download?

Read all about it here.

21. Front page at http://esotalk.org/ should get an update. It still mentions Kickstarter.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!