Website spam

1. 4 years ago

I have StopForumSpam and Honeypot plugins installed to prevent spam. Could I further prevent spam by forcing users to have a Gravatar account as a pose to just being to sign up on EsoTalk.

My website is getting spammed, you see.

Thanks

2. @oliversb I have StopForumSpam and Honeypot plugins installed to prevent spam. Could I further prevent spam by forcing users to have a Gravatar account as a pose to just being to sign up on EsoTalk.

My website is getting spammed, you see.

Thanks

StopForumSpam and Honeypot, and still getting spammed? Wow, using the Gravatar plugin only forces users to use their Gravatar pictures, or if they don't have one then it'll show a default avatar, and not only that but (And this is done on my server, and I don't know about anyone else's) my forum avatar upload is setup so that if someone uploads one avatar then uploads another it replaces the one that was previously used. Using Gravatar plugin won't really stop spam, just makes default avatar and avatar upload go through Gravatar.

3. First make that you have Open Registration > Require users to confirm their email address enabled.

I would also look at the reCaptcha plugin that was created a while ago. I'm not sure if it works or not, but it would be another layer to throw on top.

Finally check to see in your server logs which IP addresses are signing up. If it's just a few IP addresses you may be able to block them with iptables or another firewall application on your server.

4. @Thirtysixway First make that you have Open Registration > Require users to confirm their email address enabled.

I would also look at the reCaptcha plugin that was created a while ago. I'm not sure if it works or not, but it would be another layer to throw on top.

Finally check to see in your server logs which IP addresses are signing up. If it's just a few IP addresses you may be able to block them with iptables or another firewall application on your server.

Personally I wouldn't use reCAPTCHA as it isn't formatted to the new Google reCAPTCHA, I'm surprised that StopForumSpam isn't working as it works perfectly for me.

5. @Felli Personally I wouldn't use reCAPTCHA as it isn't formatted to the new Google reCAPTCHA, I'm surprised that StopForumSpam isn't working as it works perfectly for me.

Ah, true. I think it wouldn't hurt in it's current form. I am in the process of redoing the plugin to use the new API "noCaptcha" and I'll issue a pull request to @Tristan when I get it working.

6. @Thirtysixway Ah, true. I think it wouldn't hurt in it's current form. I am in the process of redoing the plugin to use the new API "noCaptcha" and I'll issue a pull request to @Tristan when I get it working.

Would help a lot.

7. Edited 4 years ago by oliversb

Thanks. Still getting spam. The reCaptcha seems to slow it down though.

8. Looks like the spammers found my forum at some point in the last week. It's a quiet one for friends. Luckily I was able to delete all users and posts with a user ID of > 20 and lock it down to moderator approval for new people. Still. I'm getting a signup request every 20 or so seconds at the moment and it's not being caught by StopForumSpam. I'm guessing the random emails at freeman providers are not in the database.

It would be nice to be able to block emails from a certain domain or two.

9. @MrWonka Looks like the spammers found my forum at some point in the last week. It's a quiet one for friends. Luckily I was able to delete all users and posts with a user ID of > 20 and lock it down to moderator approval for new people. Still. I'm getting a signup request every 20 or so seconds at the moment and it's not being caught by StopForumSpam. I'm guessing the random emails at freeman providers are not in the database.

It would be nice to be able to block emails from a certain domain or two.

StopForumSpam only suspends members that are blacklisted on StopForumSpam if it isn't in their data then add it yourself here , it's that simple.

10. Edited 4 years ago by MrWonka

@Felli StopForumSpam only suspends members that are blacklisted on StopForumSpam if it isn't in their data then add it yourself here , it's that simple.

Oh I absolutely get that... and I would, except the signups are with a completely new and random address every 20 seconds or so. It looks like freemail.hu does not have a great bot blocking system in place.

For now I've settled for blacklisting IP ranges at the firewall. That seems to have stopped the onslaught for now.

11. I have updated the reCAPTCHA plugin to get it to work with the latest version. I have also helped @ciruz to update the Honeypot plugin. Need some more work tho but expect to have it fixed soon.

12. Edited 4 years ago by Tech

Just a suggestion, " Free version of Cloudflare: https://www.cloudflare.com "

It has defiantly protected me against all these range of threats that were all having .... it also saves us from having to install 2 or 3 plugins.

13. CloudFlare gave me all sorts of problems due to there heavy caching mechanism. I had to turn the caching completely off to get my forum to work again, which makes the use of CloudFlare pretty useless..

Anyway, I have fixed the Honeypot plugin just and submitted a pull-request for @ciruz

14. 3 years ago

[deleted]

1 Jan 2016

Since I'm targeting users in America and most spam I was getting was Russian, I just blocked all of Russia in my .htaccess

15. @Tristan CloudFlare gave me all sorts of problems due to there heavy caching mechanism. I had to turn the caching completely off to get my forum to work again, which makes the use of CloudFlare pretty useless..

Anyway, I have fixed the Honeypot plugin just and submitted a pull-request for @ciruz

Interesting..I use CloudFlare for my whole website and have to run into any issues with my current setup. Before I was having issues with other forum systems due to it being highly aggressive when it come to .js or .css files, however with esoTalk even on the highest settings it runs flawlessly for me.

I have yet to somehow be targeted by the esoTalk forum spam, only one member was able to make it through to be fully registered and StopForumSpam caught him before he could post. Not sure if it's luck or if it's just the types of plugins I have and the way I have them configured...I guess time will tell?

or Sign Up to reply!