Read private messages

1. 4 years ago

Is there anyone in the process of making a plugin or a code to edit where we as Administrators can view Private Messages sent on our boards?

2. You're funny.

3. I think you're missing the point of 'private' messages. Scrub. You might as well make them provide their SSN upon registration.

4. Edited 4 years ago by Tech

I just think its a good plugin to have, (threats in private messages "etc...") ....plus a warning that notifies all registered members that private messages are always logged for security on our own boards?

5. You may add yourself manually in DB to any private conversation to see it (if there is threat) however other members will see you are in.

6. Edited 4 years ago by Garfield

@Tech I just think its a good plugin to have, (threats in private messages "etc...") ....plus a warning that notifies all registered members that private messages are always logged for security on our own boards?

You have to be retarded to think that whatever you submit on the Internet is not saved on a remote server. This is a lame "excuse", to my mind.

7. To be not able to read private conversations is a good point. There may be other admins who were not given the direct access to the DB, only web interface, and you may tell your users about it.

8. I won't agree nor disagree with this, but there's a reason it's called "private messages/conversations" it's so that only a handful of people can know about it. If you want it so that an admin knows everything that's going on within a private conversation, that's like invading someone's personal space, you just don't do it. On the other hand if there are people using the private conversations for something they shouldn't I can see why you'd want to be able to see said messages.

9. @Felli On the other hand if there are people using the private conversations for something they shouldn't I can see why you'd want to be able to see said messages.

exactly

10. @Felli On the other hand if there are people using the private conversations for something they shouldn't I can see why you'd want to be able to see said messages.

@Tech exactly

@Tech, give me an example and I'll tell you why you're wrong.

11. Edited 4 years ago by Thirtysixway

Is it technically feasible to do? Yes. If somebody wants a plugin to allow administrators to read private messages, I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Personally I wouldn't install it on my forum. I definitely wouldn't say anything in a forum private message that I'd be afraid of someone else reading, though.

Edit: just to be clear, I don't have insight into anyone's messages or accounts on the support forum :) But hell, we don't even have https.

12. Edited 4 years ago by Tech

@Garfield You have to be retarded to think that whatever you submit on the Internet is not saved on a remote server. This is a lame "excuse", to my mind.

Wouldn't it be easier to skip all these steps with a simple plugin?

@Garfield @Tech, give me an example and I'll tell you why you're wrong.

To be honest, I personally don't see why it would be wrong.

Placing it in the Terms Of Service in very clear writing somewhere
    or
    Warning in PM that messages are recorded and saved on the forum.
    or
    We can have it mentioned upon registration.
    ---
    Now if we don't put any WARNING signs anywhere then obviously we would be untrustworthy and be totally in the wrong for hiding this from our my members.
    At least's if were Transparent about things, it makes a whole lot of a difference amongst us.

On the other hand remember "THE BIG BROTHER" is always spying on us, are they telling us
    NOT AT ALL !!!

13. Edited 4 years ago by Thirtysixway

It'd be interesting to see a plugin that can encrypt/decrypt private messages based on a public/private key setup. Example if A sends a PM to B, A's message is encrypted with B's public key. Then B can decrypt it with a private key that's protected by their esoTalk password. It'd also be ideal to do with javascript to avoid it being in server logs or sent over the Internet unencrypted.

14. Apparently screenshots don't suffice.

15. @Niuwang Apparently screenshots don't suffice

Sorry what do you mean?

or Sign Up to reply!