Website performace

1. 4 years ago
    Edited 4 years ago by Tech

So lets talk about Apache/PHP

Are you tired of your websites, blogs and forums being extremely slow.

Is it normal for a website to take 10 seconds or more to load?
    I see and hear that by enabling certain modules like mem_cache, deflate, header control etc... are one of the best solutions.

Lets talk seriousness and share solutions in how we can all run lightning fast websites, blogs and forums to benefit us in many ways.

2. @Tech So lets talk about Apache/PHP

Are you tired of your websites, blogs and forums being extremely slow.

Is it normal for a website to take 10 seconds or more to load?
    I see and hear that by enabling certain modules like mem_cache, deflate, header control etc... are one of the best solutions.

Lets talk seriousness and share solutions in how we can all run lightning fast websites, blogs and forums to benefit us in many ways.

A top tire hosting company behind you, this is always a good thing. Another is (for esoTalk forums) up-to-date plugins/not a shit load of plugins will help for large communities. Lets' face it some of the plugins are heavy hitters and will cause a little longer loading than most (That is if you're running on a low tire hosting company.)

3. Litespeed > Apache > nginx, depending no hardware & software configuration. I'd personally like Litespeed just because from my experience i'ts 533% faster than Apache and 67% faster than nginx. So slow loading and what not isn't an issue for me. Not to mention minifying HTML, CSS, and JS. Removing duplicate scripts and making CSS and JS external.

There's so many solutions to making your site load faster.

4. Edited 4 years ago by Tech

Right on, have you guys heard of or using Zend Opcache?
    i hear this helps cache php as it speeds up loading time?

5. Edited 4 years ago by inliquid

esoTalk is something very fast even on calculator. you should check your hosting.
    and yes you can use opcache. there is topic opened by me some months ago...

6. [deleted]

15 Mar 2015

I'm using Lighttpd + PHP5-FPM and esoTalk loads pretty fast.

7. Edited 4 years ago by Thirtysixway

@inliquid esoTalk is something very fast even on calculator.

:D lol

Like others have said, there's more to website performance than the http daemon serving it out. Personally I use Apache just because I already have it setup, and I don't serve out enough content to really hit limitations with Apache on my personal server. I've switched very high-load servers from Apache to Nginx and noticed a huge increase in performance.

@Niuwang I'd personally like Litespeed just because from my experience i'ts 533% faster than Apache and 67% faster than nginx..

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you just pulled those figures directly from this litespeed blog post talking about serving static content with keep-alives enabled. I would highly doubt esoTalk requests would be 533% faster on one web server vs another even with ideal conditions.

I think the subject that covers most performance issues is what your hosting solution is. If you're using free or very cheap shared hosting, you're competing with everyone else on that (more than likely) overloaded and oversubscribed web server. Beyond that, tuning esoTalk will be just like tuning any other php/mysql web application.

8. Edited 4 years ago by KnownSyntax

I've always found nginx to be faster than Apache serving dynamic content (PHP, JavaScript, etc.). I used to have issues when my forums would get too many people (or getting too many packets in a very short time at once). Apache would always crash, or get very sluggish however nginx always kept up really well.

I've never tried Litespeed though, and like you said above I highly doubt that it is 533% more faster than Apache when serving dynamic content. Maybe static but that's about it.

9. anyone else wants to share with us?

10. [deleted]

5 May 2015

I use nginx + HHVM on docker. Setup takes 5 minutes and works on any provider that supports docker. :)

nginx is pretty darn fast and doesn't have the memory overhead that Apache does (last I heard it's 25mb per active connection on apache? absurd). HHVM is super-fast and easily beats the standard php interpreter in performance.

My entire esoTalk installation runs on a $5 VPS with 1GB ram and I've never seen it go above 60% memory usage.

11. @jsonnull Apache (last I heard it's 25mb per active connection on apache? absurd).

im learning a lot of tuning with the apache.
    http://www.devside.net/articles/apache-performance-tuning

or Sign Up to reply!