Hosted esoTalk providers?

1. 4 years ago

[deleted]

3 May 2015

Are there currently any providers out there that offer hosted, managed esoTalk?

I ask because I'm close to finishing a very reliable method of deploying esoTalk on a shared server using Docker. It's also super easy to add plugins, although plugin compatibility in some places is lacking (cannot use SMTP plugin because I'm using HHVM instead of PHP). This is a problem for later, though.

I would think there's room in the market for a modern forum-as-a-service provider that is more lightweight than IPB and cheaper than Discourse, especially if there is a good ecosystem of skins and plugins (which I'm willing to help make happen) and a super easy way to manage servers and install those skins and plugins (which I'm currently working on).

What do you guys think?

2. @jsonnull Are there currently any providers out there that offer hosted, managed esoTalk?

I ask because I'm close to finishing a very reliable method of deploying esoTalk on a shared server using Docker. It's also super easy to add plugins, although plugin compatibility in some places is lacking (cannot use SMTP plugin because I'm using HHVM instead of PHP). This is a problem for later, though.

I would think there's room in the market for a modern forum-as-a-service provider that is more lightweight than IPB and cheaper than Discourse, especially if there is a good ecosystem of skins and plugins (which I'm willing to help make happen) and a super easy way to manage servers and install those skins and plugins (which I'm currently working on).

What do you guys think?

As far as we know, esoTalk is no longer in development, it's all about Flarum now. No real need to bring esoTalk out of the shared hosting spotlight, not to mention the differences between all three forum softwares, Discourse (Which you need a VPS to actually run), IPB doesn't support open source, it's a pay to use software, esoTalk isn't either of those, the way it's setup you don't need a VPS nor do you need to pay for it, it's "free" to use, no need to change it now nor in the future (Not that there will be a future for esoTalk.)

3. Toby

3 May 2015 Administrator Answer
    Edited 4 years ago by Toby

@jsonnull The official position on this is wait for Flarum ! Ecosystem will be a priority, and I will definitely be considering setting up a first-party managed forum hosting service. (@Felli, rest assured that would be in addition to DIY shared hosting.)

In my opinion, any substantial effort to make that happen for esoTalk will be somewhat wasted because Flarum will be superior in every way. Of course, you're free to do as you wish :)

I know I've been kind of shit with communication and support for esoTalk (sorry – very engaged with Flarum dev, not much motivation to be developing two pieces of forum software simultaneously). I'll make a point to revise the FAQ today to answer questions about esoTalk's future in more exact terms. The gist of it is:

• esoTalk will get a bugfix release in the next few weeks. I'll release it as 1.0, because why not.
    • Flarum will be beta in a few months. There will be an easy migration path from esoTalk to Flarum.
    • At that point, the esoTalk website/repo will be updated to indicate that we recommend using Flarum.
    • esoTalk will still get bugfix releases for a bit if necessary, relying on help from the community.
    • As Flarum becomes stable, esoTalk will be discontinued and development ceased completely.
  4. [deleted]

3 May 2015

@Toby thanks for the update! It's good to hear all this information—it's been awhile and "a few months" is the most specific indicator I've heard of when Flarum is going to happen.

@Toby I will definitely be considering setting up a first-party managed forum hosting service. ... In my opinion, any substantial effort to make that happen for esoTalk will be somewhat wasted because Flarum will be superior in every way.

Let me know what you need to make this happen.

On a somewhat related note:

To be honest, the Flarum demo so far has me somewhat discouraged because the stack seems slow and sluggish, where esoTalk is snappy. I know I shouldn't expect much from a forum software in early development, but I'm a bit biased—I'm currently moving my company's forums from Discourse to esoTalk because the stack was too resource-heavy on the server and too slow for users. I'm somewhat placated by what I've heard recently about moving Flarum core and frontend into separate repos where the core is functional without the Ember frontend.

In short, I'm just not sure that "superior in every way" is going to hold up from where I'm standing.

@Toby do you have time to comment on this?

5. Toby

3 May 2015 Administrator

Yes, expect good news re: performance soon.

6. Edited 4 years ago by Tech

http://esotalk.org/blog/faq.html

As Flarum becomes stable, esoTalk will be discontinued.

-image-

7. [deleted]

3 May 2015

@Toby - Flarum will be beta in a few months. There will be an easy migration path from esoTalk to Flarum.

Please include a file changes list, if possible. This would be great for me as I currently have it super modded. :)

8. Toby

3 May 2015 Administrator

@Dakoom Flarum is being rewritten from scratch with vastly different architecture and technology — the easy migration path will only help with data, not code.

9. [deleted]

3 May 2015

@Toby
    I'm sorry Toby, I quoted the wrong part of text. My quote/reply was for this:

esoTalk will get a bugfix release in the next few weeks. I'll release it as 1.0, because why not.

10. Edited 4 years ago by Tech

esoTalk will get a bugfix release in the next few weeks. I'll release it as 1.0, because why not.

@Toby is it too much to ask from you, in the next release can you possibly fix the way the current PRIVATE conversation system method.
    As it is right now we are forced to select a channel to Pm somebody, instead it be so nice if we weren't forced to.

In reference to this thread http://esotalk.org/forum/982-why-shall-i-choose-channel-when-create-private-conversation/0

Thanks!

11. Toby

4 May 2015 Administrator

@Tech @Toby is it too much to ask from you, in the next release can you possibly fix the way the current PRIVATE conversation system method.
    As it is right now we are forced to select a channel to Pm somebody, instead it be so nice if we weren't forced to.

Sorry, that would take a bit of work to fix properly in esoTalk. I realise it's an issue though and it will be fixed in Flarum.

12. Toby

4 May 2015 Administrator

@Dakoom @Toby
    I'm sorry Toby, I quoted the wrong part of text. My quote/reply was for this:

Oh, OK. In that case you'll be able to diff the relevant commits on GitHub.

13. [deleted]

15 May 2015

All this chat about hosting esoTalk is right up my alley; I own my own hosting service and would love to see the esoTalk community continue whether development ceases or not. It is a stable platform and although Flarum will be superior in all ways, it might be of benefit for those already using it or those that just want a plain and simple forum software for their communities.

I have spoken to Toby about offering esoTalk and Flarum hosting before but I'm sure when the release of Flarum hits I will know how everything stands and will go from there. I don't want to jump the gun or tread on Toby's toes as this is his product but it's always good to offer alternatives.

or Sign Up to reply!