Feedback on Flarum

1. 4 years ago

@Gary What about it do you dislike or what has caused your disinterest in Flarum, @Felli? I'm genuinely curious. Feel free to open up another topic to prevent derailing this one.

As it stands Flarum is limited to custom CSS only with it's theming, the extensions are nice but going through Composer is kinda extreme, and for the whole beta 3/4 being a composer install kinda is a turn off with those that don't have SSH access on their server(s) as it limits the amount of people that can test it, don't get me wrong I like the new features added, it's how everything is setup with Flarum, I personally strongly disagree with having languages as extensions, I can understand why they are, but it will just cause problems till they make languages and extensions separate.

1. @Toby and @Franz should think about finding a way of separating both extensions and languages to some degree, like making them separate tabs cause everything can't/shouldn't always be extensions or you'll just run into a wall of nothing but extensions a mile long. Of course esoTalk does have the same problems in a way of speaking, the plugins are just a list that goes down in a straight line, when they should be side by side making it less scrolling than it needs to be, of course Flarum has done this, but adding languages into the mix and any site running Flarum with a multi language community will have an even longer list of extensions, it kind of defeats the purpose.
    2. Theming kinda sucks with the whole custom CSS, as even with CSS it still limits what you can do with it.
  2. [deleted]

15 Nov 2015

Do you mean making languages its own tab, or do you mean having a new channel for every language to participate in?

Whilst many of the things you have stated are true you have to understand that Flarum is still in the beta stages. Work is continually being done by both Toby and Franz and although it is forum software, the goal is to not make it the same as any other forum software on the market today. As far as I am aware Flarum is there to provide the customer with the fundamentals; the real stuff you need to create a forum/community. Not everyone needs all the extensions that have been created or requested which is why they are not part of the software itself. I am one of these people that need some extensions to serve the purpose of my forum for example which is why I have not yet completely transitioned to Flarum (that, and the fact that it is still in beta).

I am sure that there are many things the Flarum team have to look over and review, but until a stable release is here I won't be making opinions on it. So far things are going really well and I am enjoying the journey that Flarum is on. I do agree that it sucks we cannot install the software without going through Composer, but I think that was done on purpose to prevent too many people making live sites out of them and complaining when things don't go to plan. The finger would only be pointed at Toby, Franz and Flarum which wouldn't help their cause.

3. @Gary Do you mean making languages its own tab, or do you mean having a new channel for every language to participate in?

Personally I think languages and extensions should be in different tabs >Admin panel>Language Tab >Admin panel>Extensions Tab this would help a lot with the messiness of the extensions.

@Gary Whilst many of the things you have stated are true you have to understand that Flarum is still in the beta stages. Work is continually being done by both Toby and Franz and although it is forum software, the goal is to not make it the same as any other forum software on the market today. As far as I am aware Flarum is there to provide the customer with the fundamentals; the real stuff you need to create a forum/community. Not everyone needs all the extensions that have been created or requested which is why they are not part of the software itself. I am one of these people that need some extensions to serve the purpose of my forum for example which is why I have not yet completely transitioned to Flarum (that, and the fact that it is still in beta).

I understand that Flarum is in beta, and am hoping that something is done to fix these problems that many people will end up having sooner or later.

@Gary I am sure that there are many things the Flarum team have to look over and review, but until a stable release is here I won't be making opinions on it. So far things are going really well and I am enjoying the journey that Flarum is on. I do agree that it sucks we cannot install the software without going through Composer, but I think that was done on purpose to prevent too many people making live sites out of them and complaining when things don't go to plan. The finger would only be pointed at Toby, Franz and Flarum which wouldn't help their cause.

All we can do is wait, I can agree that from other forum software developers, the Flarum team is really focused in creating something that everyone can use, and from what I've read before hand (And what I'm hoping will happen) is that Franz's version of Flarum will be what I'm looking for, or at least to an extent (That is if he is still doing his version of Flarum.) Don't get me wrong I know there are other ways of doing the whole extensions install (Humhub has it's own way of doing things when it comes to installing extensions, and they did it pretty well in fact, Marketplace and all.)
    To sum it all up I'm glad to see development continue into more areas of the software, but then things end up getting messed up in others, just hoping this will be taken into consideration with a stable release.

4. [deleted]

16 Nov 2015

Oh right, I get what you mean now. Separating them could prevent clutter and will allow for things to be more organised I guess. It shouldn't be an issue if the extensions are organised in alphabetical order though (as well as being able to edit the name of the extension manually in your administrator control panel perhaps?).

I don't think there is one single forum software out there that caters to everything and everyone, whether it be paid for or free. If one does come close then there will always be something that someone may not like or agree with. As you have already mentioned, all we can do is hope that we get everything we ask for. There are a few features that Flarum lacks for a forum/community I want to create at the moment but that won't stop me from planning for it and adapting; not to mention there is bound to be someone out there willing to make an extension. And if I have to put a few dollars aside to achieve it then I believe it will be worth it and I am prepared to do so.

At the same time I do hope esoTalk will be supported. Flarum came from esoTalk, and I feel it would be wrong to just completely shut this project down. I can assure you I am not alone in putting my hand up to offer to take it over to ensure the community here stays active on the internet; it really is a fantastic product and gives other forum software a run for their money.

5. @Gary At the same time I do hope esoTalk will be supported. Flarum came from esoTalk, and I feel it would be wrong to just completely shut this project down. I can assure you I am not alone in putting my hand up to offer to take it over to ensure the community here stays active on the internet; it really is a fantastic product and gives other forum software a run for their money.

I wouldn't mind continuing with the work of esoTalk, but @jsonnull has already beaten me to the punch on this, and is doing some pretty cool things for the future.

6. [deleted]

17 Nov 2015

@Felli I wouldn't mind continuing with the work of esoTalk, but @jsonnull has already beaten me to the punch on this, and is doing some pretty cool things for the future.

Yep, I'm working on a continuation/fork of esoTalk. I don't want to say too much until things stabilize a bit, but if you're curious feel free to PM me for discussion.

7. [deleted]

20 Nov 2015

Good to hear you are continuing with the development on a fork of esoTalk, @jsonnull. I'll be sure to check it out.

8. Yeah...flarum was a major turn off after the whole composer announcement. Though I don't think that'll be permanent but who knows. If they choose to saw off their own feet who am I to stop them. Glad you're picking up esotalk @jsonnull was thinking of doing that same but wasn't sure where or how to go about this mess.

Would love to see what you'll be doing with it.

9. [deleted]

28 Nov 2015

It has been mentioned quite a few times on the Flarum Development Forum that Composer was only a temporary measure in order to prevent the majority of people using the forum software for their live sites. It's a good move in my opinion and prevents all the hate that would arise from numerous unfixed bugs and the possibilities of the loss of data.

10. [deleted]

30 Nov 2015
    Deleted 4 years ago by Toby
  11. [deleted]

1 Dec 2015

@Gary Good to hear you are continuing with the development on a fork of esoTalk, @jsonnull. I'll be sure to check it out.

12. @Gary It has been mentioned quite a few times on the Flarum Development Forum that Composer was only a temporary measure in order to prevent the majority of people using the forum software for their live sites. It's a good move in my opinion and prevents all the hate that would arise from numerous unfixed bugs and the possibilities of the loss of data.

Pretty much, I know they want people to test it out but they don't want people to think it's stable and complain when an update breaks features, if there was any loss of data, or even if there was a security hole and someone was to take all of the forum's information.

13. [deleted]

2 Dec 2015

That's exactly right, and is the only reason why @Toby and @Franz are waiting until things are ready for release.

14. [deleted]

5 Dec 2015

I am from Nigeria, I want to say a BIG Thank you for this project, I am also a designer and programmer, @Toby , May God Bless you and wish you well in your MED School, when I saw Flarum, I taught it would be a paid forum but then, It is FREE, I am inspired to be better. Awaiting the stable version

15. [deleted]

5 Dec 2015

Flarum also has it's own discussion/development forum so be sure to register to get the latest news and information. ;)

16. Is it wrong if I think esoTalk is one of the best lite weight forum softwares I ever used in my life ? That's the best way to discribe it folks! ;)

17. [deleted]

8 Dec 2015

Not at all. I'm sure everyone would agree with that statement, myself included.

or Sign Up to reply!