I whipped up this upgrade script so you can upgrade from the "old" esoTalk to the "new" esoTalk.
It should work fine, but I have not thoroughly tested it. If you encounter any problems, please post in this conversation and we'll try and help you out.
- Make sure your old esoTalk installation is fully upgraded to beta 2 .
- Create a new MySQL database.
- Install a new copy of gamma in a different folder. Go through the installation process so your forum is all set up. Install into the fresh MySQL database you just created.
- Download the upgrade script: https://github.com/downloads/esotalk/esoTalk/upgrade-b2-g2.zip
- Upload it to a new folder on your server. Open up index.php in a text editor and edit the config variables for your MySQL connection and the old/new databases and table prefixes.
- Load the upgrade script index.php in your browser. The upgrade script will run. It may take a while, depending on how much data is in your forum.
- Copy avatars from your beta folder (avatars/) to your gamma folder (uploads/avatars/).
- Load up your gamma installation in your browser. Hopefully all the data should have transferred over!
- All users will have to reset their password using the Forgot Password process. This is because the password encryption method changed between beta/gamma.
- Some complex formatting (nested quotes/lists) may not be converted correctly.