Correct procedure for pull requests?

1. 5 years ago

@Toby I want to submit some commits as pull requests but I am not sure about the correct procedure. This is what I have done:

1. Forked your repo
    2. Cloned the fork locally
    3. Created a new branch called "changes"
    4. Commit my changes to "changes"
    5. Pushed commits to my remote repo, branch "changes"

So far, so good.

Now I want to submit a pull request for one of the commits. According to this guide it would be possible to submit a pull request for a specific commit, however once I set the head branch to a specific commit SHA (e.g. 6699c45 ) I am unable to submit the pull request. Any idea why?

Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 13.34.37.png

2. Hmm, it seems I need to create "topic branches" for every different change? So my "changes" branch is in fact a topic branch. Wouldn't that create a lof of branches?

Topic branches are typically lightweight branches that you create locally and that have a name that is meaningful for you. They are where you might do work for a bug fix or feature (they're also called feature branches) that is expected to take some time to complete.

3. Blegh, my git repo is becoming a mess already. How can I stay up to date with the upstream repository but at the same time commit my own changes on top of it?

or Sign Up to reply!