A gamification plugin for esoTalk

1. 5 years ago
    Edited 5 years ago by candyman

First: I'm not a developer so I can help with suggestions and ideas only.

Second: I like the clean&fast style of esoTalk and I think that adding too many plugins could ruin it.

Third: anyway I think that a gamification plugin could be interesting for esoTalk and for Flarum too.

If you have some time, give a look at VanillaForums.org , a very nice piece of software which has reactions, badges and ranks (in the form of icons) that motivate the users to post.

For example: every year the user gains a "year medal" that appear in his profile or receives a "like medal" if his posts are liked by the people and wins an "avatar prize" if he loads an image on his profile.
    There are many gamification plugins (YAGA , Peregrine Badges ) that add these functionality.

Giving users badges based on statistics and engagement is addictive for a community: imagine a plugin that allow the administrator to create and award custom badges for special events and recognitions. For example: an user creates a logo for the community and the admin can give him a "thanks medal": this create affection.

Imagine Award Ranks which can confer different (configurable) permissions based on community perception and participation too.

I think that it could be very interesting a plugin like this, in the respect of esoTalk philosophy, of course.

2. In regards of your third suggestion: I have been thinking about this idea myself. I really like the concept. Might give it a go and try to develop a plugin for it but as I am not a developer either I might need some help :) We all could collaborate on the plugin by sharing code parts on GitHub.

3. Edited 5 years ago by candyman

Glad to hear this but, looking at your plugins, I'm sure you are a developer!
    I'm not 'cause I know little HTML and no PHP :(

Anyway I can help with feedback, ideas, and translations.

I think that Vanilla's plugins code could be a good start: maybe we could contact their creators. We need a good CSS coder too in order to add these functions accordingly to the clean interface if esoTalk (the editor I'm using know is a good example...).

p.s.: gameTalk could be the name, what do you think?

4. Heh, all my plugins are 'hacked' together, looking and learning from the core code and other plugins.
    Wouldn't the name Gamification cover it pretty much all? I like it.

5. OK for Gamification!
    So we have the name: 50% is done.
    Now we have just to write the code... ;-)

Seriously: the code of a plugin written for Vanilla2 could help?

6. I am not sure, the setup of vanilla plugins is totally different.

7. Edited 5 years ago by candyman

Another important thing to know is if @Toby is going to include a sort of gamification into Flarum out of the box.

8. Flarum won't see any daylight for at least a year I guess.

9. Edited 5 years ago by Tristan

Position tryout for the post reputation buttons. What do you think?
    Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 00.44.04.png

10. @Tristan Position tryout for the post reputation buttons. What do you think?
    [attachment:5351a8ed523fd]

That's great, i think better floating right to give more attention

11. @RonaldoJr That's great, i think better floating right to give more attention

I disagree. They change color on hover to stand out just like "flag" did in the picture.

12. @Tristan What do you think?

Great. I like this flat-free style!
    Can you make a preview of the profile page with some (fake)awards gained?

13. @candyman Great. I like this flat-free style!
    Can you make a preview of the profile page with some (fake)awards gained?

I will give it a try this week.

14. RE: Flag icon; personally I think that it should be moved up with the controls in the top right. Whenever I want to perform an action on a post, I instinctively hover to the top-right. It would be counter intuitive to separate apart such controls. :)

15. @TheStripyScarf RE: Flag icon; personally I think that it should be moved up with the controls in the top right. Whenever I want to perform an action on a post, I instinctively hover to the top-right. It would be counter intuitive to separate apart such controls. :)

I agree.

16. Edited 5 years ago by candyman

If I've understood well: Reactions (Like, dislike, lol...) on the bottom left and Actions (Quote, Edit...) on the top right?

What about adding social sharing icons (Facebook and Twitter only) on the top right too? Nevermind, I missed this .

17. @candyman If I've understood well: Reactions (Like, dislike, lol...) on the bottom left and Actions (Quote, Edit...) on the top right?

Yep, that is the idea. I have tried putting the reaction buttons under a dropdown menu but that didn't work out well.

18. This seems like a pretty fantastic idea! Does someone have a git repo set up for some code, yet?

19. 4 years ago

What's the status on this plugin?

20. I got all my projects on hold due to other priorities. Sorry.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!