Backup

1. 5 years ago
    Edited 5 years ago by Tristan

It is time for my next plugin to be released!

ATTENTION

I need you to beta test the latest feature Scheduled Backups. I have pushed it to the development branch on GitHub . Please checkout develop and let me know your findings. Thanks!

BETA - BETA - BETA - BETA - BETA

• Create Backups
    • Download Backups
    • Remove Backups
    • Restore Backups

Backup screen:
    Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 00.04.53.png

Restore screen:
    Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 00.05.20.png

And some action!
    Creating a backup
    Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 00.21.24.png

Restoring a backup
    Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 00.21.06.png

Download

Clone the plugin from GitHub

Translations

You can find the translation definitions here.

I am releasing this plugin as Beta, because I was only able to test it through my own environment.
    As always, let me know if have any issues or improvements right here in this thread. Enjoy! :P

DISCLAIMER: The author of this plugin ( @Tristan ) is in no way responsible for any results associated with the use of this plugin. Use at your own risk.

2. Toby

27 Apr 2014 Administrator

Nice one, looks good!

It doesn't look like there any security measures to prevent public access to the backups stored in the uploads/backups directory? I wouldn't risk it, even with a .htaccess rule... It might be safer to either force the user to specify a full path to a backup directory (outside of their esoTalk root directory), or just force them to download it and store it manually?

3. Wow nice! thanks for your effort @Tristan :D

4. Beautiful work! @Tristan you are great! Love you!
    Its the best ever plugin!

5. Edited 5 years ago by Tristan

@Toby It doesn't look like there any security measures to prevent public access to the backups stored in the uploads/backups directory? I wouldn't risk it, even with a .htaccess rule... It might be safer to either force the user to specify a full path to a backup directory (outside of their esoTalk root directory), or just force them to download it and store it manually?

Valid point - I am not a strong coder when it comes to security measurements yet. Stackoverflow are all mentioning the use of a .htaccess as a security measure but I agree storing them outside the esoTalk directory would be better. My only concern is that I will hit a open_basedir restriction by this approach.

6. Toby

28 Apr 2014 Administrator

It's not worth the extra convenience of automatic storage on the sever when you're talking about the security of a whole database backup — I think the safest thing to do would be to only offer it as a download.

7. @Toby It's not worth the extra convenience of automatic storage on the sever when you're talking about the security of a whole database backup — I think the safest thing to do would be to only offer it as a download.

Meh, then I need to offer an upload function as well.

8. Edited 5 years ago by Tristan

Bumped to v1.0.1

Changelog

- Added .htaccess to prevent direct accessing backup archives

9. Great stuff: a very useful plugin!

10. I need you to beta test the latest feature Scheduled Backups. I have pushed it to the development branch on GitHub . Please checkout develop and let me know your findings.

11. Toby

15 May 2014 Administrator

Sorry to be a bit of a party pooper, but I would like to reiterate that this plugin is currently extremely insecure. If you use it, it is possible that people will very easily be able to access a dump of your whole database.

@Tristan, I think you should put this information in the README and in the first post of this conversation until it's fixed. Hashing the archive filenames as you've suggested in tvb/Backup#4 isn't sufficient; obscurity is not security .

As I said previously, I would suggest either removing the backup storage functionality completely, or requiring the user to input a full path to a storage directory outside of esoTalk's root folder.

12. I understand your concerns @Toby and will try to address those as soon as possible. Requiring a full path outside web root would have my preferation.

13. 3 years ago
    Edited 3 years ago by MeTHoDx

@Tristan @Anyone I'm switching domains so I installed a fresh version of esoTalk on the new domain. I backed up the database using the backup plugin here and manually exported the sql file with phpMyAdmin (just in case). Now no matter what I do, I can't restore the backup. When restoring, it hangs for about 15 minutes and then it redirects to an error 404 page. I go back to the forum and it's still the fresh install.

The user and database names are different but I changed both in the sql file before uploading to uploads/backup. What's worse is that on the original domain I messed something up and had to do a fresh install of esoTalk and I'm having the exact same problem restoring the backup on the original domain.

I'm tech savvy but not a dev.

EDIT: If I delete the esotalk database in cPanel and import the "just in case" sql backup I did using phpMyAdmin, it breaks esotalk and I get a "Something Went Wrong" message.

14. Edited 3 years ago by Tristan

@MeTHoDx can you manually import it via CLI? I'm curious to hear what the error is you are receiving.

15. Edited 3 years ago by MeTHoDx

@Tristan I'm not sure how to do that. I think I may hire a dev on upwork to do the switch for me. Am I correct in assuming as long as I have a backup of the sql database esotalk was using, it can be restored? I backed up with both phpMyAdmin and your extension.

Btw, while it's waiting to restore, esoTalk is giving the error: "Unable to communicate with the server. Wait a few seconds and try again, or refresh the page." It does that for about 15 minutes and then directs to my blogs 404 not found page.

Thanks for the info!

16. All fixed. Thank god for UpWork!

17. [deleted]

17 Oct 2015
  18. [deleted]

17 Oct 2015

thanks

or Sign Up to reply!